North Forge North (the project) addresses the next steps to the 2018 Economic Development Strategy and 2017 Look North Report and Action Plan (Look North Report). Specifically, North Forge Technology Exchange (North Forge), in partnership with industry, academia, and the economic development strategic partners, can answer an important portion of the Look North Report; engage communities and stakeholders in partnership to support economic diversification and development by enabling entrepreneurial opportunities and expanding existing expertise and investment.
This job includes establishing an incubator hub, fabrication lab, and network of mentors and local businesses, fostering business innovation; and enabling business diversification.
Over the course of the project, the Project Manager will need to communicate with UCN, North Forge, the Northern Entrepreneur-in-Residence, and clients, while making decisions and monitoring the progress of the project to keep it on schedule.
Essential duties and responsibilities for a Project Manager include:
- Creating short- and long-term plans for North Forge North, including setting targets for milestones, adhering to deadlines, and allocating resources for the project parameters.
- Implementing North Forge programming to start-ups and corporate partners in a culturally sensitive and regionally appropriate manner to assist companies in developing and achieving key milestones.
- Identifying mentors and experts to the Program and Communication Manager to support entrepreneurs in the North.
- Coordinate activities and events to bring together entrepreneurs with mentors, partners and communities’ members.
- Engage with strategic and community partners to optimize the quality and growth of companies and recruit new entrepreneurs and companies into North Forge.
- Identifying and managing potential risks and liabilities to the project.
- Assisting in the need to change project scope and goals if required.
- Making effective decisions when presented with multiple options for how to progress with the project.
- Working closely with the Entrepreneur-in-Residence to set up fabrication labs in the North.
- Serving as the point of contact for North Forge North and attending the one hour virtual staff meeting on Monday mornings.
- Communicating with North Forge and UCN to keep the project aligned with the project goals.
- Performing quality control on the project throughout development to maintain the standards expected.
- Adjusting schedules and targets on the project as needed.
- Motivating people involved in the project to complete tasks on time.
- Presenting to organizations and partners when needed.
Project Manager Characteristics
A Project Manager requires both hard and soft skills to excel in the position. To find a great Project Manager, consider including some of these common skills in your Project Manager job description:
- Understanding of the project management framework.
- Knowledge of various project management methodologies.
- Proven leadership skills.
- Cost and risk management skills.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Ability to make crucial decisions under pressure.
- Problem-solving skills.
- Ability to delegate effectively.
- Time management skills
- Friendly and approachable.
Project Manager Requirements
- Preference will be given to candidates with a bachelor’s degree in either business or management.
- Experience in technology and innovation-driven environments is essential, along with three years of management experience.
- Project management experience in innovation and technology organizations is ideal; a combination of experience in the industry and management experience in another area may be considered.
- Must reside in Northern Manitoba.